June 4, 2021
When it comes to dental care, our doctors at Kirkland Premier Dentistry are always looking for the latest & improved ways of providing our patients with the best treatments possible.
Laser dentistry is one of them. It is usually applied in dental treatments to make incisions or remove small extents of tissue.
What is Laser Dentistry?
LASER is short for “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.” It is essentially an instrument that produces a thin and concentrated beam of energy.
In dentistry, these fine laser beams provide a high level of precision and also higher safety compared to drilling and the use of anesthetics.
These beams produce an effect when they hit tissues, helping to remove or shape the tissues.
Where Are Lasers Used In Dentistry?
Lasers are adept at creating incisions and removing tissue. The main purpose of this technology is to improve a dentist’s visibility and provide greater access and do away with the need to drill, which causes blood loss.
To eliminate dental decay within a tooth and formulate the enamel for the filling.
To help reshape gums and also clean bacterial growth through root canal procedures. They are proving a popular tool to treat oral infections & periodontal disease.
Lasers may be used to remove a small piece of tissue to give relief to sores & oral ulcers as well as extract a sample for biopsy.
For professional teeth whitening procedures, the laser beams emit a safe amount of heat to speed up and increase the efficacy of bleaching agents.
To detect and remove cavities cearly by finding evidence of tooth decay.
Treating Tooth Sensitivity
One of the prime benefits of this therapy applies to hypersensitivity. Lasers can seal the troublesome tubules to get rid of tooth sensitivity.
With this technology, there is no need for drilling and anesthesia. Furthermore, they also kill the infection in cavities while putting crowns or fillings.
Correcting A Gummy Smile
To remove excess tissue with precision, lengthen crowns, or release muscle attachments that are too tight.
Proficient at making incisions and removing gum tissue. They improve a dentist’s visibility and access while reshaping gums.
For long and short teeth, this technology can lengthen crowns for cosmetic or better bite purposes.
Repair Soft Tissues
Lasers can remove and repair soft tissue defects & congenital abnormalities.
Curing Tongue Frenulum Attachment
A laser frenectomy can treat a tight frenulum(lower part of the tongue). It is especially beneficial for children who have a problematic frenulum, inhibiting speech or breastfeeding.
Also Read: Oral Health and Covid
Benefits of Dental Lasers
Above all, the main aim of a dentist is to deliver comfortable treatment to the patients every time.
At Kirkland Premier Dentistry, we have chosen to use laser dentistry because it proposes certain unique and remarkable benefits over other traditional approaches.
Let us briefly examine some of the benefits of using laser therapy in dentistry.
- Causes less pain, and bleeding & reduces dependence on anesthesia.
- Reduces anxiety regarding the fear of dental treatments.
- Patients experience lesser bleeding & swelling during treatments and may not need stitches.
- Lasers are extremely precise, decreasing potential risks during treatment.
- They sterilize the oral cavity, lowering the chances of infection.
- Recovery is faster.
Some Important Facts
Generally, laser dentistry helps make everyday procedures safer and quicker while increasing the patient’s ease.
You are always welcome to confer any concerns you might have with our staff.
Note these important facts about this type of dentistry:
- Lasers are not used on teeth that have existing fillings.
- It cannot be used to remove defective crowns or to prepare teeth for putting bridges.
- A majority of patients do require anesthesia.
- Patients are supposed to wear special glasses to protect their eyes from the beams.
- The hard type ones can sometimes injure tooth pulp.
- Drills may sometimes be needed to complete certain fillings involving shaping, correcting the bite, and smoothening.
- Some procedures can’t be done with This treatment alone, based on the preexistent tissues or other components of gums & teeth.
- There might be a risk of injuring the gums.
Find A Laser Dentist
At Kirkland Premier Dentistry Dr. Gaurav Sharma has 400+ hours of Continuing education from the prestigious AAID (American Academy of Implant Dentistry) He applies for the latest research & advances in dentistry to provide the best dental care to patients.
The clinic is equipped with cutting-edge technologies such as laser therapy for the best patient care. Weekend and emergency appointments are also available.
Do you wish to get this treatment? Have you any queries regarding new treatments and technologies, cosmetic dentistry, and smile designing?